• October 11Wheeler Football beats Campbell 62-56

• October 11Edith Ambriz wins Homecoming Queen!

• October 11Lady Wildcat Water Polo Wins State Championship

The 2020 Presidential Race Has Begun

Back to Article
Back to Article

The 2020 Presidential Race Has Begun

Jack Casey, Staff Writer

It’s the beginning of 2019 and in the political world that means candidates for the 2020 presidential election have begun in the United States. According to the New York Times as of March 7, 2019 16 people have confirmed their campaigns, 14 are Democrats and the other two include the current president and William F. Field, an anti-Trump Republican from massachusetts. It is highly likely that more right sided republicans will run, but as of now it is interesting for the GOP. There is no rule saying that Trump will automatically get the republican nomination; it is a mistake thought by many because in the past it is just assumed that the previous president (if he is going into his second term/is available to run) will get the nomination. This time as I said it is interesting because there are plenty of republicans with similar views, but they are also anti-trump and this is the case with Field.  

As for the democrats, there are again a confirmed 14 people running, and the most popular is Bernie Sanders. Sanders, who ran in the 2016 election and lost the democratic nomination to Hillary Clinton, isn’t holding anything back this time around. His supporters as well as other liberal minded people have faith in him while the right say he’s too old and accuse him of being a communist. He responds to this by recently having meetings and Q&A sessions with the people which are sometimes broadcasted on national television. He also frequently laughs at his age complaint, as he is only five years older than Mr. Trump.

Jack Casey, Staff Writer

Jack Burnem Casey is a current junior at Wheeler High School. He lives with his parents and sister and enjoys producing videos for Wildcat TV. At school,...